Sunday 1 June 2008

Britain's Got Talent

OK, it was the final last night. Here's what I thought of the performances:

Cheeky Monkeys - for two small children, they were pretty good, but it bit too sugary sweet for me - 3/5

Andrew Muir - he was OK and has got a good voice, but the song choice was wrong. He himself told a perplexed Simon Cowell that he didn't get a say in the song, which is interesting. If the song choice was dictated by the production team then someone needs to be held to account because it's a degree of interference that can't be justified - 3/5

Kate & Gin - same routine as their audition, but still great. I want the pair of them to go and live on a magical island where they can happily live together forever and never grow old - 4/5

Nemisis - eschewed going back on an old routine to do something new, even though they nly had a day to prepare. A gutsy move that didn't quite pay off as their performance was a bit rough, but they were still great - 4/5

Strike - nowhere near as good as their semi-final and was I the only person to notice one of them fell over? - 3/5

Andrew Johnston - great performance, my runner-up on the night. Seemed well gutted not to win, and well done for him not pretending he felt any other way - 5/5

George Sampson - my third-place, routine was just as good as in the semi-final. Although I thought two other acts were better, he's still a deserving winner - 5/5

Faryl Smith - my winner and I'm absolutely gutted she didn't make the final three. Just amazing on the night - 5/5

Escala - two of them are stunning, two of them only really look good from a distance, but all four of them are very talented. That said, I'm no expert of that kind of music, so for all I know they could be journeymen performers, but they sounded good to me and will surely get some kind of record deal out of this, probably a few albums of popular classics and film themes. Only fourth for me on the night, but the competition was strong and they deserve... - 5/5

Signature - back to the audition act, which does lose something when the twist is revealed. However, it's still entertaining, they're great dancers, but it's hard to see where they take the act now, other than the inevitable BGT tour of course - 4/5

Overall, a very good final with at least four acts I would be happy to see win, one of which did. The hand of the producers was very much evident though, from the final act of each semi-final winning the public vote (though they all deserved to) to the best acts last night being weighted to the second half of the show. The possible interference in Andrew Muir's song choice is the only real cloud on an otherwise fantastic night of TV.

http://talent.itv.com

No comments: