Monday 14 April 2008

21

Is it just me, or is this the longest prolonged spell of cinematic drought in years? I've only seen three films at the cinema since There Will Be Blood opened in February, namely The Bank Job (average), The Orphanage (excellent) and, yesterday, 21. I can usually find something worth going to see every week, but I've been struggling recently.

Anyway, Leatherheads held no appeal so I went to see 21. I had low expectations though and sadly, I wasn't disappointed. I love Kevin Spacey, but this was just dreary. There's more life in 10 minutes of the TV show Las Vegas than in this entire film. It only ever holds your attention when Spacey and, especially, Laurence Fishburne are on screen. Jim Sturgess' central character aside, the rest are mere sketches, though admittedly Kate Bosworth is a most attractive one (even if she's clearly stealing her look off Leslie Bibb in Popular). None of them are particularly likeable and the whole thing is entirely predictable.

No comments: