Wednesday 17 December 2008

Weekend cinema preview

Slim pickings this week, just one film I would say is worth going to see, in the unlikely event you can find it at a cinema in your area...

Gonzo: The Life And Work Of Dr Hunter S. Thompson
Director: Alex Gibney
Pretty much does what it says on the tin, Looks pretty good, judging by the trailer and director Gibney has a good track record in documentaries, picking up an Oscar last year for Taxi To The Dark Side and also directing Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room.
IMDb rating: 8.0
My prediction: 4/5



Stone of Destiny
Starring: Charlie Cox, Kate Mara, Billy Boyd, Robert Carlyle, Peter Mullan, Brenda Fricker
Director: Charles Martin Smith
True story of four Scottish students who, in 1951 stole the Stone of Scone - a symbol of Scottish pride - back from England. Looks OK, but it's hard to tell from the poor trailer below. The only one I could find was seemingly recorded off TV with a camcorder and has hideous Spanish subtitles.
IMDb rating: 7.5 (small sample)
My rating: 3/5



Twilight
Starring: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Billy Burke, Ashley Green
Director: Catherine Hardwicke
A teenage girl falls in love with a vampire. Based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer. Surprisingly for a film seemingly targetted at teenage girls, I like the trailer. Very polished and something I would watch at some point on Sky, but not at the cinema. On the other hand, the IMDb rating is pretty low, which perhaps reflects disappointment among hard-to-please fans of the novel. Tellingly, the film only garners a 5.1 among males, but 7.5 among females. I'll pitch my expectations somewhere inbetween.
IMDb rating: 6.0
My prediction: 3/5



The Tale of Despereaux
Voiced by: Matthew Broderick, Dustin Hoffman, Emma Watson, Tracey Ullman, Kevin Kline, William H. Macy, Stanley Tucci, Ciaran Hinds, Robbie Coltrane, Frances Conroy, Frank Langella, Christopher Lloyd, Sigourney Weaver
Directors: Sam Fell, Robert Stevenhagen
Animation about a big-eared mouse. Great voice cast, but I'm find it hard to summon any interest at all for the film.
IMDb rating: n/a
My prediction: 2/5



La Boheme
Starring: Anna Netrebko, Rolando Villazon, Nicole Cabbell
Director: Robert Dornhelm
Dull looking adaptation of the opera. I'm struggling for anything else to say about it...
IMDb rating: 5.8
My prediction: 2/5

No comments: