Wednesday 10 December 2008

Weekend cinema preview

North Face
Starring: Benno Furmann, Florian Lukas, Johanna Wokalek, Ulrich Tukur
Director: Philipp Stolzl
Based on true events in 1936, when two German climbers attemped to climb the north face of the Eiger as the world (and Nazi Germany) watch on, only to find themselves victims of the weather and injury. The Eiger Sanction meets Touching The Void, it would seem. Stars Johanna Wokalek, who was so hot in The Baader-Meinhof Complex.
IMDb rating: 7.0
My prediction: 4/5



The Day The Earth Stood Still
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly, Kathy Bates, John Cleese, Jon Hamm, Robert Knepper
Director: Scott Derrickson
Remake/reimagining of the 'classic' 1951 sci-fi. The advance word that's tricking through about this film is pretty poor, but I have to say I love the trailer and sci-fi is my favourite genre, so I'll probably like it more than others.
IMDb rating: n/a
My prediction: 3/5



Trade
Starring: Kevin Kline, Cesar Ramos, Alicia Bachleda, Zack Ward
Director: Marco Kreuzpaintner
A Mexican teenager attempts to save his younger sister from sex trafficers, with the help of a Texas cop. Looks OK and has good reviews, but the trailer's a bit indifferent.
IMDb rating: 7.6
My prediction: 4/5



Dean Spanley
Starring: Jeremy Northam, Sam Neill, Bryan Brown, Peter O'Toole, Art Malik
Director: Toa Fraser
Not entirely sure what this is about, but it has something to do with a father-son relationship and the reincarnation of a dog's soul into Sam Meill. Or something. Anyway, it looks reasonably interesting from the trailer, but not something I'm in a rush to see. That said, I may revise this view in the light of reviews.
IMDb rating: 8.3 (small sample)
My prediction: 3/5



Inkheart
Starring: Brendan Fraser, Sienna Guillory, Eliza Bennett, Paul Bettany, Andy Serkis, Lesley Sharp, Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren
Director: Iain Softley
A girl and her father with the ability to bring characters and objects from storybooks into the real world must try and stop a freed villain from destroying the world. Family movie that wouldn't normally catch my eye, but it looks like there's a film-stealing performance from Any Serkis in there.
IMDb rating: n/a
My prediction: 3/5



The Man From London
Starring: Miroslave Krobot, Tilda Swinton, Agi Szirtes, Janos Derzsi
Director: Bela Tarr
A railwayman finds a suitcase full of money after he witnesses a man drowning. Beyond that, I'm as clueless as you are. The trailer gives nothing away. New film from director Bela Tarr, know for his very long takes, such as in his earlier film, The Werckmeister Harmonies. I'm intrigued by this, but not convinced I'll actually find it very interesting.
IMDb rating: 7.1
My prediction: 3/5



Lemon Tree
Starring: Hiam Abbass, Doron Tavary, Ali Suliman, Rona Lipaz-Michael
Director: Eran Riklis
A Palestinian widow fights to save her lemon tree orchard from destruction when the Israeli defence minister moves in next door and it's deemed a security risk. Based on a true story.
IMDb rating: 7.3
My prediction: 3/5



Love And Honour
Starring: Takuya Kimura, Rei Dan, Mitsuguro Bando
Director: Yoji Yamada
A lowly samurai and food-taster is blinded and forced to defend his honour after this wife is seduced by his feudal lord. Decent IMDb rating and I like samurai films, but this looks a little dull to me.
IMDb rating: 7.7
My prediction: 3/5



Next week - Gonzo: The Life And Work Of Dr Hunter S. Thompson, La Boheme, Stone Of Destiny, The Tale Of Despereaux and Twilight.

No comments: